The Red Balloon

Rediscovering this world with the realization of an adult but the nuances of a child carrying a brand-new red balloon as it trails behind them in playful glee.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Land; Lubbock, Texas, United States

Living the life of an excentric elfen artist in a world of logic and numbers.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Hawaii Day 4


Well today was alot of fun. I hung out with my mom all day.

I woke up and mom and I headed out to the Kauai Coffee Plantation. It is the biggest coffee plantation in Hawaii...and REALLY good coffee. I got such a caffene buzz off of tasting all of the different types of coffee. We toured the plantation. And learned how they make thier coffee. I bought a mug. I like it. Alot. Its a pretty mug. Mom bought me a shirt from there. Oh, we were on the dry side of the island so it didn't rain. Lots and lots of sunshine. Mom and I bought alot of coffee. One of the bags is for me when I go back to Tech. It will sit next to my Canadian coffee. lol

After coffee, we went to Wiameia. This is the town/village that my family is from. Funny thing, every store we went into asked us where we are from and once we told them our last name, they all knew who we were. Its like we are famous or something. Pretty cool. I got to look at the land my family owns and all the mangoes. It was pretty cool because one day that land may belong to me. Right now its going to my dad. We'll see if it makes it to either my or my littler brother's hands. More than likely it will belong to my brother instead of me. Tradition. I'm female. Either way, i got to see the family house and the family market, and the local church where everybody attends and where most of my family got married in. Lots of family significant value. It was pretty cool to see my "roots". And to almost be a local celebrity. Mom and I hit up the local shaved ice parlor: "Jo Jo's". OMG, it is THE best shaved ice. We both got Mango flavored with vanilla icecream at the bottom and cream poured on the top. Absolutely delicious! Very yummy. Did you know that Kauai is the inspiration for Disney's Lilo and Stitch? That shaved ice parlor is the same one in the movie. Very yummy.

After Wiameia, we went to Hanapepe, or the Art District. We went through around four different art galleries. I got to meet three artists. They were all very friendly. One even offered to let me borrow one of his canvas's. That was very generous of him. I really enjoyed this one artist's work. Her stuff is all acrilic but she painted on huge leaves and on glass. You could tell she was educated in art, because she had a totally different dynamic to her paintings that most of the other artist's works. The last artist we visited, did beautiful wood work bowls and such. He was very friendly too. He joked with me because I wore a Beatles' shirt and I am "too young" to understand who the Beatles are. (evidentally) (BS if you ask me, he was too young to know who King Cole is, but it doesn't mean he doesn't know his music). Either way, he did do beautiful wood pieces. I liked them alot. Overall, the art district was very nice. Expensive because it was art galleries and origional art, but overall quite nice. There were only afew outstanding artists there that i liked. I was able to hand out afew cards myself. I like art districts, you learn alot from them. Oh, i also picked up a bag of "red dirt" to paint with later. I would LOVE to put some Hawaiian red dirt in some of my paintings.

Anywhos, i'm going to grab some food to eat since i really haven't eaten anything all day.

Mahalo!

-Reijn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home