The Red Balloon

Rediscovering this world with the realization of an adult but the nuances of a child carrying a brand-new red balloon as it trails behind them in playful glee.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Land; Lubbock, Texas, United States

Living the life of an excentric elfen artist in a world of logic and numbers.

Monday, July 09, 2007

Hawaii day 2


quickly, because i'm very very tired:

Woke up very early and went to a horribly stale church with my grandparents. It was named Kauai Baptist (i think). Both my dad and I agreed that the music was left to be desired, and the vote between my grandmother, mom, and I was that the women's study was absolutely attrotious. I mean, there was no substance to it and no continuity. Both mom and I almost fell asleep. I fought the urge to pick up my sketchbook and doodle. I really did fight the urge. lol.

After church we went out to eat at the marina. I had a traditional Hawaiian dish. It was fairly good. It wasn't anything I would have on a daily basis, but it was most definately a dish that I enjoyed and that I can say I have experianced. It rained on and off all day long. This was nice because you could see the water reflect off of all the plants and whatnot in the sunshine. Weather changes here as fast as a tumbleweed crosses your path in Lubbock, or for my Houston readers...it changes as fast as a person would say "oh shit" when they see a cop on 59. Pretty fast, i know. Though cool none-the-less.

After lunch, Dad, Mom, Peter, and I went shopping around Kauai. We went to afew Red Dirt shirt stores. Unfortunately i cannot get a shirt, because once it is washed afew times the shirt color is a burnt orange tone, and I am not allowed to wear burnt orange of any type in Lubbock. lol! Anywhos, I got a nice phonecall from a freind that i took a drawing class with last semester. Ashley is such a cool person. We are looking into the possibility of getting an apartment together. I digress...we went to an outdoor mall. And I got a red and black surong, and a really cute hawaiian outfit. I can't wait to wear it to the Goin' Band's luau that we have every summer. lol. After all of that, we went home and Peter and I went to the beach. He boogie boarded and I just sat around, took pictures, and enjoyed the scenery. It was very peaceful.

We ordered out for pizza as we all sat around the table and listened to my grandfather tell us stories. These stories are very interesting. I love seeing my grandfather smile. Whenever he smiles, its like one of those old cartoons of an old asian man grinning. That is what my grandfather looks like. He is so proud of himself when he smiles too. He told us of a story about all the birds in his backyard when they lived in Sacramento, CA. My grandparents grew a garden in thier backyard, and Grandpa would have trouble keeping the birds away. So he caught them, sprayed them down with water so they couldn't fly away. He would feel bad, so he put them underneath a huge tub to let them dry off, all the while scolding them. Can you picture, an little old asian man scolding a turned over tub filled with wet birds? I can, and its hilarious. Then he would say that he would find eggs around the yard. He would build them little houses with a little light to incubate them. Then when they would hatch, he would scold them and say, "now, don't lay your eggs here!" All awhile my grandfather is telling these stories, he is grinning and smiling. I get my high cheekbones from him. Oh, and listening to my grandparents bicker...is so funny. after 56 years of marrage, they still know how to argue with eachother and get along. Its a beautiful thing. I can only hope to keep the type of grace they have with thier marrage, in myown.

Well, its late and Peter is watching american soccer leage on TV while sitting in the massage chair. I am about to go to bed. Its been a long day.

Miss you all, and wish you were ALL with me here. We would have so much fun! Maybe next time! *huggles*

-Reijn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home