The Red Balloon

Rediscovering this world with the realization of an adult but the nuances of a child carrying a brand-new red balloon as it trails behind them in playful glee.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Land; Lubbock, Texas, United States

Living the life of an excentric elfen artist in a world of logic and numbers.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm Not Scrooge, I promise!


I hate Christmas. I will tell you why: I hate Christmas because of the unneeded hype upon one day that comes and goes. People get all fired up over lights, candy, cookies, clothes, music, scarves, trees, dinners....and and so much much more. How pointless is it?! Incredibly. Even the author Gabriel Garcia Marquez feels the same way. I don't have the book with me right now, but in his book "Memoirs of my Meloncholy Whores" he mentioned about the futatly that people go through for Christmas. They go through all the hustle and bustle for what? So that they look good in the eyes of society. It has nothing to do with the real reason for the holiday. Why does society get all yippy and yappy when the mention of Thanksgiving brings falsified hope and joy of Christmas? Its discusting if you ask me. I cannot stand this season. I cannot stand it because its fake. It is completely and utterly fake. We gourge ourselves during this holiday and say, "but its Christmas." So just because its Christmas we can be kind to eachother? Just because its Christmas it is ok to do special things for strangers? SO just because its Christmas it is ok to be completely happy?! Its the biggest lie. And i want nothing to do with it.

And that is why I HATE Christmas.

-Reijn

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my friend it is different for everyone. it's the happiest time of the year... but it's also the most lonely. there are more cases of depression reported between Dec. 1st and Jan 1st. than the entire rest of the year. for me... it varries. now it means more to me than it used to. I enjoy it because it's a time to visit with family, people i don't see most of the year. perhaps this specific day is over produced, but the season is probably something for the good of us all. i dont' think that it's for nothing. while it's a shame that too many of us are only good this time of year... that we take advantage of it. is that not better than for some to be assholes all year round? i agree with a lot of what you said... and it's a shame. but i by no means hate it. i dont' think it's all fake either. the other thing you have to remeber... is that this whole "season" is a retardation of what it was intended to be... the "reason for the season." no matter what you believe x mas was there as a remeberance of the birth of Jesus for christians. and it has been bastardized and blown up to sales prices and comercialization. this is sad. part of me thinks it is the ones who didn't care about that and just wanted to make profit off others gift giving. but the "good will" sentament that this holiday some how bestows on the majority of the people in the country isn't a bad thing. for some ... it's fake... for others it's very VERY real. i'm probably not making much sense... but we can talk later. my mind has been on music theory for the past few hours.... i wish you well.

10:26 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger A N P said...

haha, oh dear. and working retail over your christmas vacation is not going to help that sentiment at all.

*shakes head*

would you be the type to tell children the brutal truth: "Santa isn't real. In fact, he's a fat, old pervert. Oh, and his beard is fake. And your dad drank the milk, ate the cookies, and threw away the carrot you left for Rudolph." ?
And I never knew!

*shakes head again*

Ah, despite the fact that I love Christmas myself (given I really can't listen to 99.1's absolutely disturbing collection of 24-7 carols) (and shopping is a bitch) I found myself laughing as I read this entry. In disbelief, true-- but at this point in time, any and all kinds of laughter are good for my soul.

thank you, allison. thank you for bringing the joy back into my life.

11:17 PM, November 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home