The Red Balloon

Rediscovering this world with the realization of an adult but the nuances of a child carrying a brand-new red balloon as it trails behind them in playful glee.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sugar Land; Lubbock, Texas, United States

Living the life of an excentric elfen artist in a world of logic and numbers.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Redefining a Conversation


Have you ever had a conversation? Not a chat. But a deep and meaninful conversational that goes unspoken? I'm not talking about the conversations you would have with a friend or even a person you just met at a ralley of sorts. But a deep conversation between you and an object, whether it be a peice of art, or something you are buying.

I was walking out of the art building today and i ran into the Clay Club's pottery sale. I decided to walk around it and check it out. I had a grand total of five dollars in my wallet and two in my bank account. Some of the pieces were quite beautiful and intriging. Some were things that i wanted to buy right off the back, while others i just laughed at. There was a birthday cake with a dildo as a candle. As i looked around, i could see that artist's concentration at the time...lots and lots of penises. It was very comical. There were afew chalaces that i saw that i wanted deeply but did not own nine dollars or 20, i don't remember how much they really were. A mug would have been nice too, but a candle holder caught my eye. I picked it up and looked at it, then placed it down and continued looking. I went back, picked it up agian, and then placed it down. It was five dollars. The exact amount of money i had in my pocket. It looked like a mushroom...all earthly and textured. It was like the piece was made just to talk to me. We had a conversation right there. We talked about how it was made, how it was not perfectly symetrical, but appealing, how it was of the earth and about the earth and whether it would hold a candle or not. We talked about its price, and who the artist was. We talked...for 30 seconds. But it was the best and most fullfilling conversation that i have had in a very long while. It just spoke...honestly...the piece just spoke to me and i repsonded by picking it up and telling it that i would give it a home. I took it to the counter and purchased it. My Design instructor thanked me for supporting them, and I responded by saying, "i'll be here too one day...its only fair."

Its true. Its all true. It is the wierdest feeling when you have the best conversation in a long time with a piece of pottery. But i feel complete...at least for now. Art is the greatest form of communication.

-Reijn

PS: 5000th person, leave a comment and i'll make a special post about you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home